100-120 is Similar to 0-20
How to use:
- Count 0-20 and then 100-120 and ask students: What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Questions and Big Ideas:
- What is the same about counting 0-20 and 100-120? They both have the numbers 0, 1, 2, 3… 19, 20 in them. The ones place and the tens place is showing the same numbers and following the same pattern.
- What is different about counting 0-20 and 100-120? Starting at 100, there is a 1 in the hundreds place. Also, 100 has a 0 in the tens place.
- How many groups of 10 are in 100? How does the picture show you? 100 has 10 groups of ten, I can see 10 columns of ten circles, and I can see a blue “10” at the beginning of the number 100.
- Why does the number 114 look like it has the number 11 at the beginning of it? The “11” stands for 11 groups of 10, which I can see in the picture.
- Do you think counting starting at 200 will be similar to counting starting at 0 or 100?
Counting by 10s starting at 183
How to use: Count by 10s starting at 180, count by 10s starting at 183. What is similar? What is different?
Thank you to all of the collaborators on Twitter and email who shared ideas and feedback for these visuals.